I know, another mac & cheese recipe but I tell you, this is different. This is made using roasted butternut squash (you could use pumpkin) which makes it so much more luxurious.
I made a few adjustments: I used wild rice pasta, and I added a bit of Daiya cheese into the mixture. This is an amazing recipe for a cold evening and is best served with a light arugula salad.
Vegan butternut squash mac & cheeze (gluten-free and nut-free options)
Yield: 4 servings or 1.5 cups of cheeze sauce
1 fresh butternut squash* (peeled and chopped) OR 1 cup canned butternut squash OR canned pumpkin
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp non-dairy butter replacer
3/4 cup unsweetened & plain almond milk
1 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
6 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2-3/4 tsp salt & pepper
1/2 cup of crushed corn flakes or bread crumbs, mixed with 1/4 cup of Daiya vegan cheese
4 servings wild/brown rice pasta, like macaroni (8oz or half a 16oz package) makes 3 1/4 cup cooked
Mix-ins of choice such as kale, peas, or I used swiss chard
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Mix chopped squash with extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for about 40 minutes, uncovered, or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the cheeze sauce in a pot on the stove top. Add vegan butter over low-medium heat. In a bowl, whisk together milk and arrowroot powder or cornstarch until clumps are gone. Add into pot and whisk. Stir in remaining ingredients (nutritional yeast, Dijon, garlic, salt and pepper) and whisk over low heat until thickened (about 5-7 minutes).
3. Cook your pasta according to package directions. The sauce makes enough to cover four servings of pasta.
4. In a blender, blend the sauce with 1 cup of roasted squash (or if using canned, simply stir 1 cup into the pot).
5. Add cooked, drained, and rinsed macaroni into pot, along with cheeze sauce & mix-ins. Top the mac with the crumb/cheese mixture and set below the broiler for 3-4 minutes until browned.
Any left over squash could be used in a salad or soup.