When was the last time you had a banana split? I’ve been living dairy free for years now and a big scoop of ice-cream is a no-go. Booooo!
Ahhhhh, but hold up. I’m the queen of smoothies (in my household at least) and look what I made – a Banana Split Smoothie complete with nuts, cherries, and chocolate. And, it’s healthy.
A couple of things with this recipe. I ran out of cacao nibs which really are the preferred choice here but I made my own chocolate with raw cacao, coconut oil and a little maple syrup and threw it in the freezer to set.
Also, I made a basic cashew milk which creates such a creamy non-dairy milk which is really key. So, if you don’t have cashews and have to resort to store bought milk, choose an almond or cashew version.
- ⅓ cup of cashews (ideally soaked)
- 1 cup of water (*or omit cashews and use 1 cup of non-dairy milk)
- 1 banana, frozen
- ¾ cup of frozen cherries (in Canada, President's Choice is a great option)
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao nibs (*or take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, melt with 1 tablespoon of raw cacao and place in freezer until solid)
- Blend, top with cacao and nuts and serve!