Some consider cauliflower to be fall’s superfood and I tend to agree with that claim. Cauliflower has antioxidant properties as it is loaded with vitamin C. It also contains vitamin K which is a regulator of our body’s inflammatory response which considering the season we are walking into, it may be vitally important during cold season. Let’s not forget the fibre contained in this cruciferous vegetable that is so important for digestive and intestinal support!
This is such a simplistic meal, and at the same time, it is layored with flavour and colour: roasted cauliflower steaks, served over pureed cauliflower, 5-grain pilaf and sauteed spinach. It is also a great dinner party meal for any veg-friends you may be entertaining.
The recipe makes two servings.
1 head of cauliflower
1/4 cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
1 tbsp of Earth Balance or non-dairy spread
1/2 cooked 5-grain Pilaf (Granissimo Organic: black quinoa, millet, amaranth, red lentils, brown rice) OR Quinoa
2 shallots, diced
1/4 cup onion
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 cups of spinach
Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400.
1) You can likely get 2 cauliflower steaks out of one head of cauliflower. Take off the leaves and if there is a long stem, cut it down so you can rest the cauliflower evenly on the cutting board. Slice it right down the center. Then slice a 1/4″ thick piece from the long side of each side. Brush with grapeseed oil and sprinkly lightly with sea salt. Place in the oven for about 30 minutes, turning them over at the 15 minute mark.
2) Ideally, steam the remaining cauliflower or place the remaining cauliflower in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
3) Dice up the onion and caramelize it in oil and a little salt.
4) At the same time, prepare 1/2 cup of the grain blend with ideally 3/4 cup vegetable stock or water. cook as per instructions.
5) Place the pine nuts in a skillet and toast them.
6) Add the 5-grain blend, nuts, raisins into the pan with the onions and mix it all together letting the flavors combine. Take it off the heat, cover, and set it aside.
7) Once the cauliflower is cooked, warm almond milk and Earth Balance in medium size pot. In blender, add cauliflower and milk/butter mixture and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
8) Heat up a very little bit of oil and place all of the spinach into the skillet. Season with salt. Toss it around to coat all the leaves with salt and oil as it reduces down and cooks.
9) Take the cauliflower steaks out of the oven. It should be golden brown.
10) On a plate, layer with the pureed cauliflower and cover with the spinach. Then add the 5-grain pilaf. Gently place the cauliflower steak on top.