Lover of orange flavoured chocolates? These Chocolate Orange Chia Breakfast bars were adapted from this recipe.
Confession? I don’t particularly love orange chocolate myself. I actually made these for my husband since it is one of his favourite things!
I made these with mandarin for the festive season. Mandarins and all oranges are high in vitamin C. The raw cacao in this recipe is high in magnesium but it is also naturally caffeinated so you can expect a little “zip”! Those little chia seeds provide you part of your daily requirement of omega’s!
- 1½ Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp fresh mandarin orange juice
- 1 cup oat flour (or other GF flour)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp shredded dried coconut, divided
- 2 Tbsp mandarin orange zest
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp applesauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup packed soft, pitted (about 8-9)
- 2 T of raw cacao powder
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Grease a 8×8” baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice and chia seeds. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mix together the oat flour, baking powder, salt, cacao powder and ¾ cup coconut flakes. Sprinkle in the lemon zest and mix again until distributed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut oil, apple sauce, and maple syrup. Mix in the soaked chia seeds. Chop the pitted dates finely, and mix in with the other wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until blended. Spread the mixture into the prepared baking pan, and use a spatula to flatten out the surface. Sprinkle remaining 2 Tbsp coconut on top, patting them down lightly into the mixture.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, until edges begin to turn golden brown.
- Cut while warm into squares.