There’s nothing like a hearty Sunday night pasta. I also think that pasta sauces are the only meals that I like as leftovers since they just get better and better each passing day. It allows for those flavours to mingle!
Have you cooked with tempeh before? To be honest, tempeh as it is does not appeal to me. But, grated, it makes a perfect high protein, heart-healthy meat alternative. Tempeh is a fermented soy product. With all of the negative press regarding soy products, tempeh is much, much different than a block of tofu.
Tofu has been processed while tempeh is not. Very much like edamame, tempeh is a much better choice than tofu due to that lack of processing. However, it is so imperative that you choose non-GMO, organic tempeh. It’s a must!
This Healthy Tempeh Chili Mac is a little spicy but it has a lot of flavour! It’s the perfect one-pot meal that you can carry into your work week. Serve it with a salad and its the perfect meal.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, stems and seeds removed, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 package of organic tempeh, grated
2 tablespoons chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon of salt
4 cups of crushed tomatoes (about 2 large cans)
1 small jar of diced tomatoes, ideally fire roasted
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed well
1 ½ cups dry macaroni pasta, cooked al dente (or approximately 3 minutes less than what the package instructions direct)
1 cup vegan shredded cheese for topping
1) pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2) in a large pot heat olive oil over a medium heat. Add onion, pepper, jalapeno and garlic. Sauté until softened slightly, about three minutes.
3) add tempeh and cook until brown.
4) add chili powder, cumin, salt, tomatoes, and beans. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover and continue to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
5) add cooled pasta to sauce, pour into baking dish or individual ramekins and bake in an oven for 18-20 minutes. Add cheese for the last 5 minutes.
6) remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes.
7) scoop into bowls. Add a little extra cheese on top if you wanna!
Tell me, have you cooked with tempeh before? What are your favourite recipes? Share in the comments below.