You shouldn’t be intimidated by raw foods in any form. I won’t lie. Some raw foods can be time intensive and utilize a lot of ingredients but not this one!
These Raw Coconut Banana Cream Tartlets took about 15 minutes to make. Yes, 15 minutes and the recipe calls for about 6 ingredients found in most homes!
These tartlets make for an awesome post-workout snack or a brain boosting afternoon treat! You can also play around with the assortment of nuts based on your preference. And, if you are nut free, pumpkin and sunflower seeds should work perfectly fine.
Why raw? Often, but depending on how you cook your foods at home, the nutritional value of the ingredients get lost in the cooking process. With raw desserts, often the star ingredient are dates. Dates are a great choice for raw baking since these little gems still contain fibre content which helps to balance your sugar levels. At the same time, dates are still sugar so a little goes a long way. But, they are perfect if you are wanting to achieve that caramel taste!
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup raw nuts (combo of almonds, walnuts or pecans)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 tablespoons of coconut flakes
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Sweetener to taste such as maple syrup, honey or stevia (optional)
- For the based, in a food processor, pulse the nuts (not cashews), dates, sea salt and 1 tablespoon of coconut milk until moist and pulled together.
- Press about 2-3 tablespoons of mixture into muffin tins.
- In the same processor, blend cashews, coconut milk, coconut flakes, banana, cinnamon and coconut oil until fully blended and thick.
- Pour about 2-3 tablespoons into the muffin tins and place in freezer for at least 2 hours before serving.
So, now it is your turn. Do you make your own raw treats?