I woke up with an upset stomach. Ironically enough, my plan was to make this Shaved Fennel Salad, but little did I know that it would not only nourish me, it would also settle my aches.
This is a variation of the version at 101 Cookbooks. I added shaved organic red pepper and toasted almonds to the mix, Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar to the dressing, and ate it with arugula one day and the next day without. I also omitted the feta cheese.
Shaved Fennel Salad
1 small-medium zucchini, sliced into paper thin coins
2 small fennel bulbs, cored, trimmed and shaved paper-thin
1 small red pepper
2/3 cup chopped fresh dill
1/3 cup lemon juice, plus more if needed
1/3 cup Grape seed oil (or olive oil), plus more if needed
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
fine grain sea salt
4 or 5 generous handfuls arugula (optional)
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
* Using a food processor fitted with a thin slicer works best. Alternatively, slicing almost paper thin is suitable.
1) Slice and combine the zucchini, fennel, red pepper and dill in a bowl.
2) In a separate bowl or jar, mix the lemon juice, oil, mustard, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
3) If serving immediately, toss the above veggies with marinade and set aside. Marinate for 20 minutes, or up to an hour.
4) If using arugula or another lettuce, when you are ready to serve the salad, put the arugula in a large bowl.
5) Scoop all of the zucchini and fennel onto the arugula, and pour most of the lemon juice dressing on top of that. Toss gently but thoroughly.
6) Taste and adjust with more of the dressing, olive oil, lemon juice, or salt if needed.
7) Serve topped with nuts.
Serves 4 to 6.