Tortilla Wraps – Grain Free // Vegetarian

October 5, 2015

Tortilla Wraps

I love me some tacos!  James and I have them once a week, normally with these tasty bits and a bunch of spicy veggies and my homemade crockpot refried beans. The problem with taco shells is that they are normally made with GMO corn and many, in general, find corn hard to digest.  They’re also deep fried which I guess is why they’re so tasty in the first place!

Now, I want to talk to you about my my recent diet tweaks.

As you all know, I was vegan for about 5 years. As a nutritionist, I firmly believe in a diet that is, at minimum, 75% plant-based.  That means heavy on the veggies and greens (and moderate fruit). The rest of the 25%, you should reserve for the foods your body needs such as grains, proteins, fats, etc.

For many years, meat was not one of those things. But, in the past 6 months, I have been incorporating organic eggs and sustainable fish into my diet.  It wasn’t difficult to adopt back into this style of eating.  I have also started to eat some organic, grass fed meat.  Not everyday.  Not a lot. But occasionally.

I’m okay with it.  My body has been receiving it well.  In fact, it has even helped with some recent health issues that I have been dealing with. Yippee!

Now to the recipe.  These Tortillas Wraps are perfect.  It is veggie-forward, high in healthy protein, baked, not fried and probably more filling then your typical taco shell.

For those following a grain-free lifestyle, you’ll love these as Cauliflower + Almond Flour = perfect combination!  I will use these as a taco, or a pizza-like taco and tower it will roasted veggies.

Corn-Free Tortillas (Grain Free // Vegetarian)

ingredients:

3/4 head cauliflower (about 2 cups pulsed *see below)
1 cup of almond flour
2 large organic eggs
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper, to taste
Optional: Lime Zest or Lime Essential Oil

directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Trim the cauliflower, cut it into small, uniform pieces, and pulse in a food processor in batches until you get a rice-like consistency. *The finely riced cauliflower should make about 2 cups packed.

3. Place the cauliflower in a steamer and steam for about 12 minutes until fully cooked. Let cool for 15 minutes.

4. Place the cauliflower in a fine cheesecloth or thin dishtowel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.

5. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with cilantro, seasonings and other flavourings. Add in cauliflower and mix until well combined. Use wet hands to shape 6 small “tortillas” on the parchment paper.

5. Bake for 10 minutes, carefully flip each tortilla, and return to the oven for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until completely set. Let tortillas cool.

6. When ready to serve, heat a medium-sized skillet on medium and brown tortillas for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

Storage: I have yet to freeze these. But, for meal prepping for the week, I fully cool the tortillas and layer with towel/paper towels to absorb any moisture.  I pull them out, follow the reheating instructions and devour.